GIRL WHO MADE FALSE CLAIMS ABOUT TEENAGER ABDUCTION COULD FACE CHARGES
It’s thought a girl who falsely told gardai she saw a teenage boy being abducted in Wexford town could face charges.
A major child abduction operation got underway on Saturday after reports teenager Sait Canbullu had been abducted in broad daylight from a street in Wexford town.
Once the Child Rescue Ireland alert was issued garda helicopters were dispatched – as well as over 100 officers mobilised to search for him.
Appeals were made across the media as well as on motorway signs while ports and airports were also put on alert in case there was an attempt to smuggle him out of the country.
The teenager was later found safe and well in Sligo – however the operation cost gardai more than 100,000 euro, according to The Irish Daily Mail.
It’s believed a 16 year-old girl told gardai she saw Sait being abducted.
Gardai became suspicious of her claims when CCTV footage of the area was examined and no trace of the boy or vehicle was found.
It’s now believed the girl will face a criminal inquiry for knowingly making a flase claim to gardai.